Owlish Mutterings
6/06/2004
 
Gaming economies
The economies of the 2 multiplayer games I play are very weird. I recently read an article describing the economy of everquest, linking in game activity to real world dollars. I havn't found it by google; I'll keep looking. The problem with Diablo2's economy is that gold is pretty close to worthless, so either runes or one particular artifact get used as de facto money. Runes are useful, so they are continually getting taken out of circulation; same for the stone of jordan [soj]. Knowing what a relatively rare artifact is worth is fairly difficult. On the other hand some guy gave me an amulet I fairly strongly needed; it wasn't worthless, but he couldn't have traded it for something good either. So, sometimes people act like jerks, sometimes they are nice. Actually, it's fairly easy to get help of various types, so in general the jerk level is pretty low. On the other hand I have seen several scams attempted-people wanting my password, trade scams, etc.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger