Owlish Mutterings
6/14/2004
 
Who wants to live forever?
Clayton Cramer discusses one of Glenn's columns:
As you get older, your high hopes and ambitions inevitably collapse around you. The wonders of travel turn into a series of disappointments. Your high hopes for your children come crashing down, especially when you discover the moral ugliness of the culture in which you are raising them.
Two thoughts: (1)I don't want to live to 150 if I have moderate Alzheimer's at 80. (2)I just spent 10 years of my life learning stuff for a career I'm not sure I want. If I knew I was going to work until 200, my thoughts on skill training would be very different. That's what always got me when people talk about "saving lives;" [in a medical context, not a religious context]; everyone eventually dies, so enjoyment of life calculations to me always made more sense than lifespan calculations. Obviously not everyone feels the same way, and apparently Mr Cramer feels increased lifespan is a bad thing. You know, antidepressants can be quite helpful in some situations...

Comments:
I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger