Owlish Mutterings
10/08/2004
 
Music
JohnL discusses his musical imprinting here; Llamabutchers discusses his here. Ok, this gets messy. 1) What music my parents played in the house was usually done so for a specific reason. For example, Christmas music in December. Including the cringe inducing Chipmunks Christmas album. The only pop album I know they had was Bridge over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkel. Hmm. Googled to make sure I had the name right. Lyrics here. WTF? Is it just me, or is the meaning of the song "If you're feeling bad, I'll have sex with you." 2) The music I have permanently stuck in memory is Suzuki Violin music my sister played. To this day when I hear Twinkle Twinkle little star I instantly hear sung :A A E E 1 1 3, ... These are the fingerings necessary to play it. 3) Fortunately, my parents abhor country and western music. 4) Some pop songs bring back specific memories: throwing a ball with Ken and Hit me with your Best Shot; Hotel California and an 8th grade dance; the soundtrack to Footloose. Nothing I can think of brings back much in the form of emotional memories. 5) After spending a fair amount of time learning classical music and going to concerts at various symphonies, most classical music for me induces [or at least aids] a meditative state. Basically, I zone out. This is not conducive to enjoying the music itself.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger