Owlish Mutterings
4/22/2005
 
Mockery?
I was puttering around on Technocrati and found this post on Probity Rules, linking to my post on what I would do if elected pope. The specific sentence:
I have noticed that there is a great deal of mocking on the Internet, generally by people who believe other people's belief systems are irrational.
He then defines mocking:
A mocker is someone being overly proud and arrogant (Proverbs 21:24).
I guess my saying "I want and deserve to be pope" would be overly proud and arrogant. But that wasn't the point. I was thinking more of a scene in this book, in which a god's church has been slowly getting more and more corrupt, and his chosen people would be destroyed if they didn't get their act together. So the god manifests on the holiest day of the year, destroys the high priest, and appoints someone who normally could not have been the successor as high priest. As I'm not even baptized in the Catholic faith, much less a priest, I assumed it would need the direct intervention of God for me to be appointed pope. And if so it would not be because I was especially holy, but because his church would need a metaphorical kick in the pants. And, yeah, probably a woman would perform that function better, but maybe a gay man would do.

Comments:
Thanks for bringing it up, here are my second thoughts. Oh, by the way, I like the new layout. It looks sharp.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger