Owlish Mutterings
Tex-Mex Soup
I've been wanting to make some tortilla soup, looked though my various books of recipes, and decided on a variation of this recipe from All-Time Favorites Slow-Cooker, a [one-shot?] magazine from Better Homes and Gardens, dated 2003. Initial recipe first, the changes I made afterwards. Tex-Mex Soup 1 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes 1 14 oz can beef broth 1 8 oz can tomato sauce 1/2 cup chopped onions 1 4 oz can diced green chile peppers 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp chili powder 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce 1/2 tsp garlic powder 1 9 oz package frozen cooked Southwestern-flavor chicken breast strips, thawed 8 to 10 corn tortillas, torn into 1 to 2 inch pieces 3 oz cheese, either chedder or Monterey Jack with jalapenos, shredded In slow cooker combine 2 cups water plus ingredients up to and including garlic powder. Cover, cook low 8-10 hours or 4-5 hours high. Adjust to high. Stir in chicken, cook for 15 more minutes. Stir in tortillas and serve. Garnish each serving with cheese. I followed the recipe fairly closely. Substituted 2 beef bullion cubes plus water for the beef broth, 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped for garlic powder, chicken I had cooked for the prepared chicken, ro-tel tomatos instead of diced tomatos. Added an extra tsp cumin. Added one can whole corn. Ignored the corn tortillas [uncooked corn tortillas are not particularly tasty], sometimes served the recipe over rice instead. Turned out fairly well, and was good for this cold I've got. It had less taste than I really wanted. It had a fair amount of burn, but that faded quickly. Overall, a decent recipe for a base, now I need to find some more things to add.

Try putting in chunks of uncooked chicken at the beginning. And even with the bouillon cubes, it may not have enough salt.
Thanks, more salt is a possibility, although I generally prefer to add it later, at the table.

I've been cooking a whole fryer at once, and eating it over a week. I'll keep the idea in mind, though.
Try substituting a cup of your favorite picante sauce or salsa for the tomato sauce. Also, adding a can of black beans should be good.
Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger